Monday, April 26, 2010

Beast of the East 2010

Spending 2 whole days in and around an arena filled with derby girls, watching my team play without me, feeling a vicarious derby high, all while knowing that I'll never play this wonderful sport again, was rather heart-wrenching... as I had predicted it would be. However, I did not run out of the arena in tears. And an even greater accomplishment of mine was that, all day Saturday, I only had a twinge of a headache despite the loud arena and, all day Sunday, I only had 1 major headache which I was able to placate by napping in the grass for a good 15-20 minutes. My brain is clearly healing more quickly than my previous concussions.

My team totally rocked the Beast. We came in 2nd. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place went to the 3 Montreal teams (FDR in 1st, La Racaille 2nd, and Ditas 3rd). The level of general competition was higher than it was last year. It seems though that Montreal Roller Derby is still a few steps ahead of all the southern Ontario teams.

I really love my team and my team says I'm Racaille for life, so YAY! But as of today, I've got to start mentally preparing myself to switch from derby girl to derby ref. I probably shouldn't be on skates just yet, so that gives me time to brush up on the rules, learn the ref hand signals and let myself get used to the idea of becoming "one of the boys" in this primarily female sport.

No comments: