Wednesday, April 21, 2010

retirement

The doc says quit, so I must quit. 5 hours in ER. Examined by 2 doctors (one of whom had actually seen me play before). CT Scan (the technician happened to be a girl with whom I went to high school). And the verdict is: serious concussion, no brain damage, but must cut out the contact sports because the next concussion probably won't be so kind to me.

So this is the end.

I've announced my retirement to my team. And they insist that I stick around as part of the team nonetheless. So I shall be part of the La Racaille support staff, filling in whatever function is required: bench manager, babysitter, watergirl, chauffeur, film crew, cheerleader. I will continue to be there for my team.

And when my head is less wonky than it is at present, I intend to get back on skates and get back into shape just without the contact aspect of the sport. At the moment, I'm very much leaning towards becoming a ref for next season. That way, i'll be able to continue going to practices and training. I'll just keep my head out of the way when the hits are a-rollin'.

So far, that's the plan. Its the end of an era for me, but I'm eerily ok with that. As much as I was looking forward to this season, my brains come first.

1 comment:

Cherri B said...

I just found your blog and started reading as I'm new to the sport. I'm sorry to hear of your news.

Much derby love to you.