Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Derby roadtrip of doom

6 years ago, I lost control of a pickup truck and wound up in the ditch. It was probably the least damaging car accident in the history of car accidents as all passengers and the vehicle suffered absolutely no injury or damage. However, my boss decided to nickname me Crash for the rest of the summer. And I'm starting to see how this is a rather fitting nickname for me.

Let me start from the beginning. This weekend, the Montreal Sexpos roadtripped out to Michigan for a derby game in Kalamazoo and then a scrimmage in Grand Rapids. Though I am not a current member of the Sexpos, I was asked to sub in and thus I took part in said roadtrip. The bout on Saturday night against the Killamazoo Derby Debutantes was in fact my first real game since Beast of the East 2009 and my concussion. I was ridiculously nervous before the bout to the point where I felt sick to my stomach. But once the game started rolling, all my nerves floated away and I was on fire. My lines always managed to work well together and pull off some excellent isolating. Some of the other lines fell apart a little. But I feel like my contribution to the track was definitely a worthy one.

The reffing however was horrendous. Honestly, I am rarely one to criticize the refs. I know how hard their job is and that they are volunteers. And as a rule, I love them. But this bunch of refs must have gotten together and smoked a ton of weed before the game or something because they were all over the place. Its possible it was just that there were refs from various different cities who all had different reffing styles that just didn't mesh. In any case, something was wrong out there. And my team lost their cool a few times.

The other team also lost their cool and grew increasingly aggressive on the track. In the second half of the game, hits to the face from the other team were not uncommon. In fact, I received 2 notable hits to the face. The first gave me a swollen lips and the mild taste of blood in my mouth. The second smashed me right in the eye. Luckily I was wearing protective prescription goggles which probably saved me from a serious black eye. However, I'm pretty sure they didn't save me from head trauma.

My brain has been in constant pain since that hit to the face (for while i received a penalty by some twisted logic). And having some considerable experience with concussions. I think its pretty safe to say that I'm 94% sure I am suffering from post-concussive syndrome. I'd love to be wrong. And I'll be scampering off to find out what medical professionals have to say on the subject within the next 24 hrs.

My head really needs to stop crashing into other people violently. There's only so much head trauma a girl can take.

No comments: