Wednesday, February 11, 2009

post-practice reflections

Every once in a while, a practice comes along that seems to focus specifically on your needs and desires. Yesterday was such a practice for me. Due to a miraculously limited amount of traffic on the roads last night, I was actually early for practice and therefore was able to participate in the off-skate warm-up. Once feet became skates, it felt like the gods were smiling down on me. We did suicides involving side-skating, backwards skating and 180s; all things I generally enjoy. Afterwards, we practiced hitting/blocking. First we did quick little control hits, alternating between being a target and a hitter. Secondly, we practiced finding the right time for the big hits. After that, we did some drills that involved communication, working with a partner and timing within the pack. And then, it was scrimmage time. Everyone loves scrimmage time.

I left the practice space with the wonderful derby-high that makes me fall in love with derby over and over again.

No comments: