Friday, July 25, 2008

waiver

The other day, the Montreal Roller Derby League asked me to fill out a little form (contact info, emergency phone #, etc.) and sign a waiver relieving the league of any liability in cases of injury. Most people vaguely glance over the small print before signing, but I like to know what I'm agreeing to, so I read the whole thing. There are 2 words that jumped out at me. The first word was used in asking for permission to film/photograph me without compensation. It was the word "exploit". That made me laugh. The second word was used in the paragraph that revokes my right to sue for damages if anything goes wrong. And this was the word "death". Apparently, I'm not allowed to sue MTLRD if I die on their watch. I laughed even harder here. I was then reassured that the league has not witnessed any cases of derby-related death. Yet.

So basically, with my signature, I gave MTLRD permission to exploit and kill me. They can film my death too. Yay!

No comments: