Thursday, July 24, 2008

intro

My name is Raz and I am an aspiring roller derby girl. I've been training for 3 weeks now. And I honestly think that choosing to take up roller derby is one of the smartest decisions I've ever made. And this is my derby journal.

Just to get you up to speed. So far I've only ever been on roller skates 5 times. The first time was after attending 2 derby bouts. I borrowed a pair of skates from a friend of a friend and tried to see if I could skate. Turns out that years of ice skating help with rollerskating, the basic principals are the same. Its just a question of getting used to the whole 4 wheel thing. But once I got comfortable on wheels, I was hooked. Since then I've been to 3 derby practices at the Recreateque in Laval and I went skating on the Formula 1 racetrack with a couple other newbies one time. So far, I've logged about 9 hours on skates. I've been using muscles I didn't even know I had. The exercise has cured my insomnia. And my ass looks better than it did 3 weeks ago.

I ordered myself some new skates and protective gear from Rollergirl.ca and they should be arriving within the next couple days. I can't wait. Just the idea of being fully/properly equiped is making me grin in anticipation.

Ah derby! I couple months ago, I'd never even heard of the sport. Now, i think about it everyday.

This Saturday is the Montreal Roller Derby Championship game. La Racaille vs the Contrabanditas. Should be exciting. I'll be working Merch for half the gig. Merch is probably one of the better volunteer positions one can have because you can still watch the game from the Merch table. And I think volunteering lets the league catch a glimpse of my level of committment.

I'll be back again soon with more updates on my derby progress.

No comments: