Monday, July 28, 2008

new skates!!!

So, I'm sitting at my desk at work this morning when our receptionist brings me a nice big box, not too heavy, but filled with goodies. And by goodies, I mean my brand new skates (Riedell 125s), a bright pink mouthguard, a shiny black ProTec helmet, wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads, and an extra set of wheels (the indoor-outdoor hybrid kind). So exciting. And I'm thrilled to say that today is not a busy day at the office, so feel no guilt in fiddling around with my new toys.

The girl at Rollergirl.ca suggested that when I receive my skates, I put them on indoors and let the leather mold to my feet. That's exactly what I did. My feet are wheeling back and forth gleefully underneath my desk. And so far, I've done a little in-the-office skating (to the bathroom, to get juice out of the fridge, to the printer.) Already, I'm madly in love with these magical rollerskates. With them on my feet, I feel like I could fly.

I have practice tomorrow, so I'm probably going to leave most of my gear here overnight. Except my skates. Those I want to bring home and wear around the house a little tonight. Tomorrow's practice is going to be particularly exciting. First practice is proper equipment and good skates. I can't wait.

In other news, the championship game was this weekend. La Racaille kicked some serious Contrabandita ass. A lot of people must be sad that the derby season is over. No more games to watch for quite some time. Tragic, kinda. Not so much for me though. I'll continue practicing every week. And skating as much as possible. And soon enough, I'll pass my minimum skills test and I'll be able to participate in the more advanced drills. Booya!

No comments: