Monday, August 18, 2008

trip to Long Island to support the New Skids

The New Skids on the Block were playing a game in Long Island this weekend, so I hopped in my car with a couple of friends and exclaimed "ROADTRIP!" with derby enthusiasm. We drove for hours, explored some of NYC and some of Long Island, attired ourselves in homemade New Skids t-shirts, watched a great derby bout, cheered louder than all the Long Island fans combined, and partied like only derby girls can. Twas a magical affair. The New Skids wipped the floor with the Long Island Roller Rebels. The final score was 165 to 75; 90 points is quite the massive gap.

Mae and I, as newbies, totally scored some awesome points by making the trek, making the t-shirts and screaming like maniacs. A couple of the jammers blew kisses to us in our suicide seats as they skated by. I'm really glad they appreaciated our support.

Now that I'm back in town and talk of minimum skills keeps increasing, my intense everyday training has begun. I actually set my alarm for 5:15 this morning, so that I could go skating at the skate park a few blocks from my house, but getting up that early on a Monday morning proved too difficult. I didn't give up my desire to get some training in everyday though. I packed my skates and kneepads in a backpack and lugged them to work. I put them on in the parking lot out back and skating at a decent pace for a good half hour on my lunch break. It was an excellent use of my lunch hour. There's a bike path that goes from the metro almost all the way to my house, so I'm thinking of skating home from the metro after work. My stopping may not be great yet, but outdoors, i'll stick to using my toe-stop as opposed to doing a t-stop, just to be on the safe side.

No comments: