Wednesday, August 13, 2008

minimum skillz/derby madness week

At last night's practice, we did a run through of the WFTDA mimimun skills requirements test. I think I did pretty well. There are still things I need to improve. The first 2 tests involved laps around the track. We have to be able to do 20 laps in 5 minutes. I'm not sure how many laps I did in 5 minutes because I got there late, jumped on the track and lost count. My lack of endurance made that a horridly painful way to start a practice. Then we did 5 laps in 1 minute, which was not a problem for me. I did 5.5 laps in a minute. I think I could do better though.

The rest of the test was more chill. Of course, most of us newbies are super self-concious when we know the veterans are watching us, so we get nervous and fuck up. But that too will vanish with time and practice.

This is a totally derby-tastic week. Sunday i practiced. Monday, I spend the whole evening cleaning some bearings. Yesterday was practice. Today I wanted to go skating outdoors, but I failed at the bearing cleaning, so I need to acquire new bearings for my hybrid wheels before I can skate outdoors. I'll probably do that today. Tomorrow, I'm going skating on the F1 track. Friday, I'm leaving on my derby roadtrip. Saturday, I'll be watching the New Skids in Long Island. Sunday, I've got to drive back to Mtl in time for some rookie training with the Texas rollergirls. Never a dull moment when you embrace the derby lifestyle.

No comments: